So I guess we have survived through our very first family camping trip ever at the Big Family Festivals despite the heavy rain. Hoorah!
Nevertheless, I kept thinking what I actually should be bringing – food wise- to make our first family camping trip little bit more special and more memorable for the whole family to enjoy. I have therefore asked for some tips from my fellows bloggers. Check out below what they have said…
Dry, Tins & Veg. Food
- Sarah, Kippers & Curtains We always take noodles and lots of veggies like peppers etc to make kebabs.
- Naomi, The Organised Life Project Chilli. Make it at home, reheat it over the campfire. It’ll taste all smoky and delicious.
- Kelly, Lets Go Some Where Nice It’s not food but you can’t forget the tea bags! I did once, it was a disaster! x
- Nyomi, Nomipalony Don’t forget the tea and coffee or you’ll regret it in the morning!
- Ayse, Are Pops We took little cereal boxes as a dry snack. Porridge pots are really good if you’ve got a way to heat water!
- Sarah, Mummy Catnotes Baked beans! It’s not camping without tins of beans!
- Lynne, A Day In The Life Of A Mum Of 6 UHT milk was a must for us. Easy meals which are quick to make including pasta and rice dishes plus loads of BBQ meat.
- Laura, Autumns Mummy Blog Bread and baked beans. You can’t beat baked beans on toast. Beans always taste so much better when you’re camping, for some reason! Just don’t do what my husband and I did one year and forget the can opener!
- Lianne, Anklebiters Adventures Tinned curry and boil in bag rice can both be cooked on camp stove and some popadoms you have a curry night
- Debbie, My Boys Club Tins, tins and more tins. Easy to open, cook and don’t go soggy in the rain
Meat & Frozen Food
- Zoe, Juggling On Rollerskates Sausages!!
- Rebecca, Kizmetcava Sausages, cherry tomatoes, spaghetti and thyme is all you need for this. Boom, best camping dinner ever!
- Kate, Modern Mum Defiantly sausages!! Freeze them and they will help keep your cool box cold. Morrisons do some fab ready made chocolate filled crepes. It saved my six on our recent camping trip! Xxx
- Kelly, Kelly Allen Writer Burgers! We can’t have a family camping trip without them! Must include cheese slices, ketchup and buns of course!
- Clare, Neon Rainbow Blog Our essential seems to be tinned hot dogs, because they are so versatile, quick and in desperation you can eat them cold. Also digestives and marshmallows because smores are life!!
- Becky, Mommy & Rory Bacon! You’ve got to have bacon sarnies in the morning!
- Veronica, My Parenting Journey Camping Mac N Cheese! We love mac & cheese, anywhere anytime. Taking everyone’s favourite side to the woods with you will make you an instant favourite around the fire.
- Emma, Devon Mum Tins of tuna and sweetcorn and pasta – great for sandwiches and quick meals or snacks!
- Vanessa, Jibber Jabber UK I made a Bolognese beforehand and froze it. Once we had got to our camp site and pitched the tent it had defrosted and all I had to do was reheat it and cook the pasta. Easy first night meal.
- Helen, Talking Mums Definitely bacon for butties in the morning. Tinned soup and bread is always handy for an easy lunch too. For kids the little packs of cheese dips and sticks are easy. For evening being frozen homemade stew/ Bolognese /chilli and just heat up in the pan. Handy to have stove with two burners too!
- Laura, Life With Baby Kicks We took frozen milk, it acted as a cool box cooler and then the next morning fresh milk for tea!
- Laura, Five Little Doves Marshmallows!! No camping trip is complete without toasted marshmallows!!
- Erica, The Incidental Parent Corn for popping!
- Sophie, Soph – Obsessed Loads of snacks for midnight feast!!
- Nadine, Then I became mum Cereal/energy bars for a quick snack.
- Nikki, Yorkshire Wonders Digestive biscuits, thin chocolate (think milky bars or those kids’ versions of Dairy Milk), and marshmallows. Get your digestive ready, load up with a slice of thin chocolate and the toast the marshmallows. Squish the marshmallow on top of the chocolate with another digestive – fab S’mores!
& That is it!
Do also check out our “3 Eating Outdoor Essentials from Mountain Warehouse“ post too.
Do you have any tips you would like to add? Do let us know in the comment below, we love to hear about it. x